What is a ROLE 360?
ROLE 360 is a best practice during the new employee onboarding process where new employees are introduced to their role, and those roles in a 360 degree radius.
Why is ROLE 360 Important?
We are often asked by clients how to get employees to genuinely care about their company, be energized by their mission and engaged in their work. A large part of the answer lies in your ability as an organization to show your new employee how and why their work matters, and what impact they have on the organization's success. To achieve this, people must know where their work comes from and where it goes when it leaves them, and finally the end result- a ROLE 360.
Why aren't organizations using ROLE 360?
- The number one reason ROLE 360's aren't being used is awareness: organizations are not aware of the benefits of ROLE 360. Most people believe that simply learning their role is sufficient for success in the role. When in reality, if you know the next step in the workflow, and what that team/department/person needs for success, you are more likely to ensure that you deliver on that.
- Most new employee onboarding processes completely miss the opportunity to highlight not only the organization as a whole, but also individual departments and job roles that contribute to the overall success of the organization. Showing people where they fit in lets them know that they’re a part of something larger than themselves. It gives their work meaning and purpose; a must-have if you want an engaged and energetic workforce.
How can you begin to implement ROLE 360's?
It’s actually easier than you may think.
- One of the best tools to use is a diagram of the organization that allows new employees a 360 degree view of work flow. This should be facilitated through by a knowledgeable, engaging and competent presenter.
- Additionally, new employees should visit each department that they touch- to ensure they completely understand the impact they have on others. And in turn, those departments will understand the impact they are having on all other departments.
- Finally, shadowing other departments is a great way to create empathy and understanding of workflow and the importance of internal courtesy and accuracy.
Effective ROLE 360's greatly improve efficiencies and internal relations; creating awareness and commitment. Unfortunately, most organizations simply don’t put a lot of attention, thought or investment into an organization-wide view of roles, or world-class new employee onboarding. The good news is that neither lack of awareness or lack of attention are roadblocks that will permanently stop you from connecting your new employee with the overall success of their role and the organization.
ABOUT DONNELLY EFFECT: With over 20 years of Disney leadership experience, Mike Donnelly, Chief Experience Officer (CEO) of Donnelly Effect shares his insights on Talent Selection and Hiring, Employee Onboarding, Customer Experience, Service Culture and Leadership- among others. Donnelly Effect is home of the exclusive "World-Class Workshop" series and offers consulting services and keynote addresses to audiences of all sizes and industries. Since 2007, Mike Donnelly has been a contracted Disney Institute Facilitator, delivering Disney customer service training to audiences across the United States.